NPC Friendship System
The NPC Friendship System (호감도 시스템 ) is a feature that was added in the Season 6 Act 14. - Aeterna patch which allows players to increase relationship with in-game NPCs through gifting items and unlock special dialogue and features as well as quality of life bonuses at higher levels.
This system originally debuted in KDnF during its Season 4 Act 17. - Side Story. Guildpact patch on Jan. 28, 2016. It serves as a revamp of the previous NPC Relationship System which was launched and removed several seasons prior.
- 1 New System - Likeability
- 2 NPC Dyeing System
- 3 Explorer Club Challenge - Likeability Bonuses
- 4 Restrictions
- 5 Trivia
New System - Likeability
Likeability (호감도 hogamdo) represents the "closeness" the player has with a particular NPC. It can be increased through the means of Gifting, which is unlocked within the NPC Interact Menu when the character reaches Level 20.
When an NPC reaches a certain threshold, their names will change color, and specialized dialogue, character portraits, and features will be unlocked depending on the stage of Likeability.
Players can view their Likeability progress by checking on the NPC in the NPC Book within the Select Menu.
Note: Currently, there is no method to view the actual numerical value of current or max Likeability points. The percentage displayed in the NPC Book is rounded down to the nearest percent.
Stages of Likeability
There are three stages of Likeability: Normal, Intimate (친밀 단계 chinmil dangye), and Affectionate (호감 단계 hogam dangye).
Upon reaching certain stages of Likeability, special features and bonuses will be unlocked.
Stage 1 — Normal
- No special bonuses.
Stage 2 — Intimate
- Specialized Stage 2 dialogue and portraits are unlocked. Special dialogue will appear at a 40% rate.
- Certain NPCs gain special features via completing Explorer Club Challenges
- Certain NPCs randomly appear aboard the Philasia and give the Player gifts in the Mail. Rewards vary between Cube Fragments and Monster Cards.
- Certain NPCs can be summoned through Ria's Summoning Machine.
Stage 3 — Affectionate
- Same bonuses as Stage 2.
- Specialized Stage 3 dialogue and portraits are unlocked. Special dialogue appears at a 40% rate. Replaces Stage 2 portraits.
- NPCs replace the Delilah NPC at the Dungeon Results screen at a 25% rate. Some NPCs will not appear during certain quests and scenario dungeons.
- NPC Dyeing feature unlocked.
- NPCs will randomly have special speech bubbles when nearby the Player.
Likeability runs off of a percentage system. Depending on the percentage, the NPC's Request Chat option name and Heart Icon within the NPC book will change color with hues associated with the table below:
Additionally, the amount of max Likeability and Likeability required to transition between stages varies depending on the NPC. These two factors determine the 'difficulty' of obtaining friendship with a specific NPC.
- To reach max Likeability with Santorini, he needs roughly 40,000 Likeability points. In order to unlock his Stages 2 and 3, he needs to be at 25% and 50% Likeability points respectively.
- To reach max Likeability with Michelle, she needs roughly 65,000 Likeability points. In order to unlock her Stages 2 and 3, she needs to be at 75% and 90% Likeability points respectively.
- To reach max Likeability with Ria Richter, she needs roughly 110,000 Likeability points. In order to unlock her Stages 2 and 3, she needs to be at 45% and 90% Likeability points respectively.
There are multiple methods to increase Likeability, though the main method is to gift NPCs cube fragments.
Note: Gifts given at max Likeability will not generate Likeability points.
NPCs can only be gifted up to 5 times a day with each gift consuming 100 cube fragments.
There are three categories of cube fragments to choose from based on preference:
- Non-preferred: Clear - Clear Cube Fragments
- Normal: Colored - Black Cube Fragments, White Cube Fragments, Red Cube Fragments, Blue Cube Fragments
- Preferred: Gold - Gold Cube Fragments.
Note: NPC Likeability will not decrease if given a Normal or Non-preferred item.
The amount of Likeability will vary at random depending on the category of cube fragment selected; ranging from least to greatest: Clear → Colored → Gold. The Likeability points generated are as follows:
- Clear: 100~300
- Colored: 200~600
- Gold: 400~900
Players can also gift specialized items obtained through Adventure Mission Quests. These items give significantly more Likeability, particularly if they have ties to a specific NPC.
|Mountain Tears||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Heavenly Flower||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Sayoung's Sword||10000-12000*||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Torn Imperial Alchemist's Token||10000-12000*||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Mysterious Old Man's Letter||10000-12000*||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Chrysoberyl||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Red Fruit of Fennes||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Girl's Coin||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Flower of Her Memories||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Silver Crown Leaf||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Ginseng Wine (Gift)||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Obsidian Ore||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Timothy's Cure||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Heartfelt Letter (10,000)||10000||Unknown|
|Heartfelt Letter (1,000)||1000||Unknown|
|Heartfelt Letter (100)||100||Unknown|
|Ikki's Magic Gloves||10000-12000*||78-86 Level Hell Mode Monster Hunt|
|Pure Gold Chip||5000-7000|
|Letter from the Noblesky||5000-7000*||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Catechumen Simon's Cross||10000-12000*||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Toby's Thank-you Gift||500||Event|
|Lemidia Capella Decoration||5000-7000||No quests found that satisfy the search criteria.|
|Heritage of Curio||10000-12000*||53-62 Level General Dungeon Monster Hunt|
- Storm Pass
- Saint Horn
- Valley of Fallen Souls
NPC Dyeing System
The NPC Dyeing System is unlocked when an NPC reaches the Affectionate stage.
Players can adjust the color scheme of selected NPCs through their NPC Dye option in the NPC Interact Menu at no cost, and can dye up to 4 selectable areas.
The selectable areas include:
There are 47 different color options to choose from as well as a reset option. Players can view the color changes in the 'Avatar Preview' window on the left.
Dye-able areas are determined by the NPC's preset sprite mask layers and cannot be adjusted.
Additionally, NPC seasonal or event costumes cannot be dyed.
Explorer Club Challenge - Likeability Bonuses
The Philasia Surprise Guest
This feature is unlocked when the player completes certain challenges listed on the Explorer Club Challenge Likeability section regarding specific NPCs. Upon completion, these NPCs will randomly appear aboard The Philasia and send you gifts via Mail.
- Note: Request Chat with the NPC to receive the gift.
The NPCs, their prerequisites, and their rewards are as follows:
|Shinjang||Give Catechuman Simon's Cross to Shinjang||Cube Fragments|
|Siran||Give Sayoung's Sword to Siran||Monster Cards|
|Isabella||Give Torn Alchemist's Token to Isabella||Cube Fragments|
|Leno||Give Torn Alchemist's Token to Leno||Cube Fragments|
|Ludmilla||Give Mysterious Old Man's Letter to Ludmilla||Cube Fragments|
|Timothy||Give Timothy's Cure to Timothy||Cube Fragments|
- Note: Monster Cards will be of the Uncommon Grade. Cube Fragments will vary between 5 Clear or 2 Colored.
Ria's Summoning Machine
This feature is unlocked when the player reaches Intimate stage with one of designated NPCs listed in the Explorer Club Challenge - Likeability menu. It enables players to summon specific NPCs via the Video Communicators aboard The Philasia. From the summoned NPC, players can access the selected NPC's specialized shops as well as use their special services such as Reinforcement, Refinement, and Amplification. Only three NPCs can be summoned at a time. Additionally, only one of the same NPC can be summoned at a time.
The NPCs and their functions are as follows:
|Magar||Epic Soul exchange|
|Simona||Epic Pot shop|
|Strawberry Nose Della|| Aberrant Crystalline exchange|
|Monica of the Library||Talisman exchange|
|Robato|| Wisdom Crystal exchange|
Grim Seeker's Dark Soul exchange
Encroached Grim Seeker's Soul exchange
Dark Soul Converter
|Grandis||Lemidia Basilica: The Altar of Purification|
The Forge of Light
|Karakas||Halidom Fragment exchange|
|Lindsey Rossum||Northpiece Token exchange|
Although you're able to build rapport with various NPCs in-game, there are a few limitations placed on this feature however.
Likeability progress is not shared between characters. However, bonuses unlocked through Explorer Club Challenges will apply for all characters in the account.
Additionally, if there is a <!> next to their name in the NPC Book, a notification will pop up and says "You can't increase Likeability past Intimate with characters of the same gender of you." In other words, Male or Female playable classes are gender-locked from establishing anything Intimate towards those specific NPCs listed below. Some NPCs are completely unable to rapport entirely either due to story progression surrounding that character or different circumstances.
Another addition is also the "This NPC can't have it's likeability increased" notification, meaning that they cannot rapport with a specific class mainly due to conflict or associating with certain factions.
- Seria Kirmin
- Kiri the Lady
- Empress Skardi
- Iris Fortunesinger
- Daphne Marbros
- Dana Donatel
- Ophelia Bagrans
- Annis Bainstai
- Grandis Gracia
- Knight Robato
- Queen Maya
- Sewer Princess Faris
- Alisha Arden
- Shonan Aska
- Azalea Lott
- Eventful Erica
- Summoner Kate
- Red Witch
- Natalia Sue
- Bowmaster Ludmilla
- Imperial Princess Isabella
- Event-related NPCs
- Himan Stella
- Masked Knight
- Vaughn Walshuted
- Red Tail Jonathan
- Alchemist Morgan
- Jiu Long
- Last Memet
- Azalea Lott
- Nevillo Jurgen
- Hiram Klauf
- Adjutant Helga
- Meister Tenebe
- Meister Volgan
- Meister Hauts-de-louis
- Meister Curio
- Commander Irine
- Spitfire Flo
- Sarah Wane
- Rosa Jurgen
- Arms Dealer Oskar
- When this system was first released in KDnF, there was a maximum limit on how many NPCs you could have at the Affectionate Stage at a time (Maxed out at 3). Additionally, there was a system called 'Likeability Decay' which decreased an NPC's Likeability if an NPC did not receive a Gift within a certain period of time.
- The Likeability Decay was as follows:
Stage Time Likeability 1 21 days -500 2 14 days -1000 3 7 days -1500
- Since Players at that time could not give gifts to NPCs at full Likeability, the only way to maintain support with current NPCs and to support new NPCs was by forcefully allowing NPC's Likeability to decay. Players were forced to juggle between NPCs they wanted to keep and the new NPCs they wanted to support.
- These limitations were removed in later patches to make the system less cumbersome and to enable Players to support all the NPCs at their leisure.